Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Our Messy Honest Prayers

"My best friend is one of those who is okay with mess ups. And I realized while I was driving yesterday that I've never felt the need to edit myself for him. Sometimes I hesitate in my words because I want to get them just right, but I don't leave parts out. Isn't that the best kind of honesty? The unedited, ink blotted, messy, real honesty? Not even when we first met and we kayaked around the lake, not even then did I think I had to change my answers to say what he wanted to hear me say. I can't think of any words to explain the gratitude that wells up inside me when I think about that."

As I read my friend Hope's blog post this morning I thought about how I am always trying to clean up my prayers to make them appropriate for God when in reality He just wants our messy honest prayers. If we are blessed to have a friend or family member that we can talk to like this how much more does our Father want us to talk to him like this. The weird part is that He already knows it all anyway but I still try to put on a religious show. I have not been keeping a record but I really think that over the years that my desperate, honest, no mask prayers are the ones that God has answered the most.

Here is the rest of the post from "Hopeful"

1 comment:

  1. :) Ever since I read your comment on my post saying you wish you could pray like that I have not been able to stop considering what that would look like/feel like and how it would change my relationship with God. Thank you for the insight.

    ReplyDelete